Position: Marketing Manager
Reports to: Associate Director of Marketing
Status: Full Time
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
The Marketing Manager is an action-oriented position responsible for all aspects of Lyric’s marketing program for our American Musical Initiative, Lyric Unlimited programming, recitals and all other Lyric activities outside of grand opera. The position is charged with the development and implementation of short and long-term strategic marketing plans aimed at maximizing ticket sales and revenue through a variety of media, both traditional and new, including print and online publications, TV, and radio. The Marketing Manager will ensure plans lead to long-term audience growth and executing successful promotions to attract new and retain current audiences. This individual will be a critical agent of change in the development of new marketing and sales tactics and promotional partnerships for these new revenue streams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work in collaboration with the Associate Director of Marketing and Director of Marketing to conceive and oversee innovative marketing plans to accomplish established marketing and sales objectives.
• Achieve revenue and ticket goals by planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating advertising, direct mail, and promotional activity action plans.
• Participate in the development of annual marketing budgets. Project and update anticipated targets as needed.
• Create a system for tracking goals and benchmarks by maintaining reports for revenue and sales and provide forecasts, revenue tracking, and expenditure reviews to ensure plans are on track.
• Coordinate detailed schedules, timelines, cost and expected ROI for each action item. Monitor status of action items. Adjust program based on sales projections and actual ROI.
• Manage customer-focused direct response channels, including digital (email, web, mobile, etc.), direct mail, and other media.
• Work in conjunction with our media buying agency, decide upon mix of advertising in print publications, online advertising, promotions and outdoor advertising.
• Articulate sound messaging strategies within campaigns that integrate both customer and show insights.
• Collaborate with fellow marketing staff to develop strategic partnership activities and implement the plan on identified opportunities.
• Craft and implement strategies for customer acquisition, activation, retention, and win back marketing through CRM segmentation and database exploitation. Increase cross-season attendance by spearheading targeting customer segments with customized messaging and personalized content.
• Oversee creation of all advertising materials, including photos, video, and written descriptions.
• As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• 5 years of marketing experience, with at least 2 years of management experience with proven success in the development and execution of integrated marketing campaigns across multiple channels.
• Passion for the performing arts, especially opera.
• Strong communication, time management, leadership, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Effective budgeting skills and a demonstrated ability to work with limited resources while still being creative and effective.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to prioritize work, use good judgment, pay attention to detail, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency, and carry projects through to completion in a timely manner.
• Results-oriented team player with the ability to take initiative and drive programs.
• Subject matter expert in consumer behavior and direct marketing principles. Experience in copy writing will be considered an asset.
• Strong communication skills.
• Must be highly self-motivated, personally & professionally resilient and capable of working independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please forward a resume and cover letter denoting the position of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.