March 06, 2019
5 reasons to see JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR at Lyric
One of the greatest stories ever told is headed to the Lyric Opera stage this April and May! The iconic rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar — with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice — tells the story of the final weeks of Jesus Christ using an innovative mix of musical styles ranging from 1970s rock to gospel to funk. With tickets starting as low as $44, you won’t want to miss the show that became one of the greatest successes in Broadway history. Keep reading to discover 5 reasons to see Jesus Christ Superstar at Lyric!
- The music – Have you ever had the chance to experience a rock band with over 35 musicians, jamming out to one hit after another? That’s what you’re in for with this production! The music will blow your hair back and you’ll be singing along from start to finish.
- The dancing – Spectacular dancing is a hallmark of this production. The electrifying movement, choreographed by the renowned Drew McOnie, is packed with high energy physicality to ensure there’s never a dull moment.
- The voices – This production requires serious vocal talent and range to belt out the songs we all know and love. From “What’s The Buzz” to “Everything’s Alright” and countless others, the powerhouse voices fuel this contemporary imagining of the centuries-old biblical tale.
- The acclaim – Originally seen at The Regent’s Park Theatre London, this US premiere production of Jesus Christ Superstarpremiered to critical acclaim and received the coveted Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival (the UK version of the Tony Awards). It was also called “a gorgeous, thrilling, heavenly musical” by The Guardian and “an excellent production…flamboyantly fabulous” by Timeout London.
- The set – For this production, Lyric’s stage will be extended an extra six feet into the audience to ensure you’re a part of the action! Get ready to feel goosebumps when the on-stage band transports you to an experience you won’t forget.