Assistant to the Lyric Unlimited Director
Position: Assistant to the Lyric Unlimited Director
Reports to: Lyric Unlimited Director
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera. Lyric Unlimited, a division of Lyric Opera of Chicago, is a new, multifaceted program of expanded community engagement and artistic initiatives that includes Lyric's longstanding education programs.
We are searching for an Assistant to the Lyric Unlimited Director to be responsible for Executive-level support of the Lyric Unlimited Director. This position requires an intuitive thinker, anticipating the needs of artists, staff, community partners, and board members. The successful candidate will maintain a positive, ‘make-it-happen’ attitude while executing on ongoing and assigned tasks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide administrative assistance for the Director of Lyric Unlimited, to include but not limited to:
- Answering and screening telephone calls
- Managing correspondence for the Director of Lyric Unlimited , including:
- Drafting and disseminating thank you letters and notes to community partners, artists, donors, and other contacts.
- Screening of all incoming correspondence, and initiating responses, or forward to other staff members for follow-up, as appropriate.
- Maintaining Director’s appointment calendar, including scheduling of meetings with all internal/external personnel and partners, and coordination of related communications and/or support materials.
• Provide administrative support for the Lyric Unlimited Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Keep updated committee list and contacts, manage and track attendance, take notes and distribute meeting materials.
- Partner with Assistant to the Director of Development and Executive Assistant to the General Director to schedule meetings, communicate and coordinate key messages, and advance the work of the Committee.
- Liaise with assistants of Committee members to schedule meetings, share meeting materials, and remind members of upcoming meetings and events.
- Attend to special requests of Committee members, including obtaining tickets for Lyric Unlimited events.
• Track data for Lyric Unlimited programs
- Partner with Lyric Unlimited staff to collect attendance and participation information
- Utilize established systems and evolve data collection and analysis
- Create reports for Development, Board and staff use as requested
• Effectively organize and make available as needed all Lyric Unlimited photo, audio and video assets.
- Partner with Marketing, photographers/videographers, designers.
• Coordinate Lyric Unlimited staff review of copy for all Lyric Unlimited publications, liaising with Marketing to meet deadlines.
• Monitor Lyric Unlimited website pages monthly and communicate need for updates to appropriate staff.
• Assist with Lyric Unlimited programs and events as requested.
• As Lyric Unlimited evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Arts Management or equivalent experience.
• One to two years of administrative/ support experience; experience within the performing arts field a strong plus.
• Extraordinary attention to detail. Ability to review for accuracy, create and execute on checklists, and follow through on even the smallest detail.
• Outstanding communication skills with the ability to modify tone to best suit the audience.
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity; knowledge of Chicago area communities a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a polished, professional demeanor that expresses the open, inclusive philosophy of Lyric Unlimited.
• Ability to think beyond the present; problem-solve.
• Working knowledge of and comfort working with:
- Microsoft suite of products, especially Power Point and/or alternative presentation software
- CRM expertise (Tessitura a strong plus)
• Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments or performances.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please forward a resume and cover letter denoting the position of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.