Position: Coordinator, Board of Directors and Women’s Board
Reports To: Manager, Boards Management
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Lyric Opera of Chicago exists to provide a broad, deep, and relevant cultural service to the Chicago region and the nation, and to advance the development of the art form of opera.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate leadership in accordance with Lyric’s mission and vision as they relate to the activities and events of Lyric’s six Boards: Board of Directors, Women’s Board, Guild Board of Directors, Ryan Opera Center Board, Chapters Executive Board, and Lyric Young Professionals Board.
- Manage the Board Office including ordering supplies, drafting correspondence, preparing gifts, and tracking expenses.
- Ensure and manage the day-to-day functioning of the Board of Directors and Women’s Board, adhering to the Bylaws set by each Board.
- Update, maintain, and produce, alongside Boards team, Board directory annually.
- Ensure Board Office phone is covered at all times.
- Provide concierge level customer service to Board members in Maintenance Portfolio by monitoring contributions, executing performance ticket requests, making Graham Room dining reservations, answering phones, composting correspondence, etc.
- Assist the Associate, Guild Board and Chapters; Associate, Ryan Opera Center Board and Lyric Young Professionals; Special Events Team with their responsibilities under the supervision and approval of the Senior Director, Boards Management and Special Events and Manager, Boards Management.
Board of Directors and Women’s Board
- Maintain accurate and detailed contact information for Board members in Tessitura, board directory, and digital files, proofing Board listings regularly for programs.
- Track Board engagement, giving, and participation through database and files.
- Prepare and track annual dues.
- Develop and maintain filing system for member files, activities, events.
- Oversee the management and execution of all Full Board and Committee meetings, and Board-specific events, such as orientations, throughout the season.
- Generate all Board and Committee meeting materials and logistics, alongside Boards team, including:
- Creation of packets, reports, agendas, record and transcribe meeting minutes
- Manage invitations and track responses
- Prepare and assemble meeting folders
- Manage seating and vendors
- Create content and oversee production of Board e-newsletters, social media, and other related communications.
- Plan and execute Lyric Leadership Briefings as directed.
- Organize planning and implementation, alongside Boards team, of all Women’s Board events including Opening Night Opera Ball, Spring Musical Celebration, Wine Auction, and special fundraising galas, including:
- Tracking responses
- Writing copy
- Maintaining files
- Coordinating production and design of print pieces
- Producing escort cards and place cards for seating
- Responding to inquiries
- Managing vendors
- Coordinate all aspects of the triennial Wine Auction project, alongside Boards team, including:
- Assisting with solicitation of items and tracking of donations
- Maintaining inventory
- Coordinating shipments and fulfillment
- Print/online catalogue development and production
- Planning pre-/post-event activities, and interim Wine Auction-related events
- Assist in the planning and coordination of Board of Directors and Women’s Board member-only trips.
- As the business evolves, so may this role; these duties may change as Lyric’s leadership identifies the need at any time.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- 1+ years experience in Development or related field.
- 1+ years experience working directly with a volunteer board.
- Working knowledge of and comfort working with:
- Microsoft suite of products
- CRM expertise (Tessitura a strong plus)
- Ability to work and think independently, a motivated self-starter who also works well in a larger team.
- Ability and flexibility to oversee evening or weekend functions, deployments, or performances.
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, to handle other office equipment, and to lift up to 30 pounds.
How to Apply
Please forward a resume and cover letter denoting the position of interest to email@example.com or mail to Lyric Opera of Chicago, Attention: Human Resources, 20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 860, Chicago, IL 60606.