Types of Information We Collect
We collect Personal Information and Usage Data through your usage of the Site and our Services.
"Personal Information" means any information by which you can be personally identified, such as your name, address(es), email address, telephone number(s), username and password, payment card information, patron number, donation history, ticket purchase history with performance date and seating location, dining reservations including venue and time, education, employment history, familial relationships, corporate affiliations, dietary restrictions, educational institution, other philanthropy, bequest info, program listing name (if different from salutation, wealth screening scores, affiliations with Lyric (i.e. Board Membership, VIP, event registration, and membership), activity attendance, contact logs and promotions, payment history, patron meeting notes, donation ask amounts, ethnicity, birth date and usage data.
“Usage Data” means any information that we automatically collect about how you use the Site, but that alone cannot be used to identify you. Examples of Usage Data include your browser type, device type, and pages you visited, and your IP address. Tracking technologies, like cookies and web beacons, help us collect this Usage Data. To learn more about cookies and how to control them, please review the section on Data Collection Technologies.
When you make an online payment or donation, we collect your credit or debit card number, as well as information about your payment history. Although we use a third-party payment processor to facilitate any payments made on our Site, we retain this information for ticket fulfillment and to respond to inquiries, communicate with you about your account, and for other business purposes.
How We Collect Your Information
When you use our Site and/or Services, we collect the information you provide to us when you, for example:
- Create an account;
- Purchase tickets, gift certificates, or subscription packages;
- Shop at our gift shop;
- Purchase food & beverages;
- Make a donation;
- Subscribe to our email list;
- Register or RSVP for a sponsored event through the Site;
- Contribute to an event;
- Reserve the Lyric Opera House for a private event;
- Apply for employment, an internship, or a volunteer positions;
- Register for a program at Lyric;
- Load a page;
- Watch a video;
- Download a PDF;
- Add seats to the online shopping cart; and
- Interact with our staff.
We may also collect Personal Information about other people that you provide us, such as their name, addresses, email addresses, or any additional information. For example, you may provide us with the name of a potential donor.
How We Use Your Information
We collect, retain, and use your Personal Information for the reasons stated below:
- To process any purchases, payments, donations, or other transactions you may perform on the Site or related to our Services;
- For the specific purpose for which it was volunteered (for example, to receive notice from us, etc.);
- To contact you in response to your inquiries, comments, and suggestions;
- To contact you when otherwise necessary or appropriate for legitimate purposes;
- To send you marketing and/or fundraising communications, with information about our organizations, our products, and our services;
- To seek donations to our organization;
- To track our visitors’ use of the Site for internal market research;
- To improve the Site and the Services we provide or provide through the Site;
- To customize the content and/or layout of our Site for each individual visitor; To notify you about updates to the Site and/or our Services;
- To be provided to third parties in order to provide services on behalf of Lyric;
- As required by law or regulation, or as requested by government authorities; and
- For our internal business purposes.
Data Collection Technologies
Web Beacons. A web beacon (also referred to as clear gif, pixel tag or single-pixel gif) is a transparent graphic image used in tandem with cookies that enables us to record a user’s actions. We use web beacons to count users who have visited those pages, verify system and server integrity, track marketing campaign performance, and for similar statistical measures.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your Personal Information as disclosed to you at the time we collect it, with your consent, and in the following circumstances:
Service Providers: We may provide your Personal Information to our service providers that help us run and manage our business, such as technology service providers, Email providers, digital agencies, research providers, analytics providers, customer service providers, and our credit card processors.
Other Arts and/or Entertainment Organizations: If you engage in our Services, we may disclose your personal information with Service Providers. Our Service Providers may then share your name and contact information with other arts and entertainment organizations for their own marketing-related purposes. You have the option to opt-out of this data-sharing arrangement by contacting us as directed below.
As Required By Law: We may disclose your Personal Information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process. Additionally, we may disclose Personal Information when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect the safety and security of our property or the property of others. We may also disclose Personal Information in order to protect our rights, such as to investigate fraud or respond to a government request.
- Restructuring Transaction: We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party in the event Lyric is involved in a merger, reorganization, acquisition, joint venture, assignment, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, or other transaction, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings.
Social Sharing Features
The Site may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest buttons (e.g., “Like,” “Tweet” and “Pin It”), which let you share actions you take on the Site with other media. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Do Not Track Signals
Some web browsers have “Do Not Track” or similar features that allow you to tell each website you visit that you do not want your activities on that website tracked. At present, the Site does not respond to “Do Not Track” signals and consequently, the Site will continue to collect information about you even if your browser’s “Do Not Track” feature is activated.
The security of Personal Information is important to us. We use reasonable safeguards aimed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction of the Personal Information we collect and maintain. However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by parties other than the intended recipient. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to our Site.
Your California Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 gives California residents the rights to request certain information regarding our disclosure of their Personal Information to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We may share your Personally Information with affiliated third parties, some of which do not share the name of Lyric, for their own direct marketing purposes. You may request information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes by contacting us as noted below.
We follow applicable laws for children aged 16 and under. For purposes of personal data, we consider anyone under the age of 16 years old to be a child. If we discover that we’ve unintentionally collected information from a child in a way prohibited by applicable law, we will delete the information immediately.
To better ensure the protection of children’s personal information, we do the following:
- We do not collect personal contact information from children without the consent of a parent or legal guardian, except in limited circumstances authorized by law.
- We collect some information (like IP address, operating system, etc.) automatically and use technology like cookies to provide functionality and support our operations. We obtain consent where required.
- We do not ask for more personal information than is necessary for a child to participate in an activity.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Our Site may offer links to other Web sites which may have information policies and practices different from ours. We do not control and are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices or the content of any third party Web Sites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party website prior to providing them with your Personal Information.
Email Consent and Opt-Out
If you consented to receiving email communication from Lyric, you will continue to do so unless you unsubscribe. You may choose to opt out of or unsubscribe from receiving future commercial email messages from us. Each mass commercial email sent by us contains a link with instructions on how to remove yourself from our email list.
Access and Modification
You may access and modify the Personal Information we maintain about you by contacting us using the contact information below. We will respond to your inquiry within a reasonable timeframe.
Individuals in the European Economic Area
We adhere to the applicable data protection laws in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), which includes the General Data Protection Regulation (EU 2016/679) (“GDPR”). If you have a concern about our processing of your Personal Information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. For the contact information of your relevant local Data Protection Authority, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm
Data Subject Rights: If you are located in the EEA, GDPR allows you the following rights with respect to your Personal Information:
- To access the Personal Information we maintain about you
- To be provided with information about how we process your Personal Information;
- To correct or amend your Personal Information;
- To have your Personal Information erased;
- To object to or restrict how we process your Personal Information;
- To request your Personal Information to be transferred to a third party;
- To withdraw any consent you gave us to process your Personal Information.
Conditions of Use
How to Contact Us
If you have questions about information security, privacy, or usage of Personal Information that were not answered here, please contact us at the following address:
Lyric Opera of Chicago
20 N. Upper Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60606