Carmen, Don Quichotte, Lucia di Lammermoor, Das Rheingold, My Fair Lady, Itzhak Perlman, Les Troyens, Charlie Parker’s Yardbird
Individual tickets for eight grand operas, one classic American musical, and several limited-engagement special events are on sale next Thursday.
Forbidden love, raging passion, eternal optimism, charming fantasy, heroic bravery, and a whole lot of amazing singing, acting, orchestral glory, and stunning stagecraft — Lyric’s got it all.
Lyric’s 62nd season boasts tremendous titles, outstanding casts, several new productions, and a long-awaited company premiere.
“Lyric’s new opera season offers a great range of musical and dramatic styles, and an exceptional roster of internationally acclaimed singers, conductors, directors, and designers,” says general director Anthony Freud. “Newcomers to Lyric’s Civic Opera House and those who know and love opera will relish their exciting entertainment options. Every opera tells an unforgettable story. This is going to be an extraordinary season and now is the best time to get your tickets for your choice of individual productions.”
With projected English translations above the stage for all opera performances, in 2016/17 Lyric will present
- Two German operas in new productions: Wagner’s majestic Das Rheingold (which launches a new Ring cycle) and Mozart’s fanciful final opera, The Magic Flute
- Two Italian operas in new-to-Chicago productions: Donizetti’s tragic Lucia di Lammermoor and Bellini’s dramatic Norma
- Three French operas including a new production of Berlioz’s mighty Les Troyens in its Midwest stage premiere, and new-to-Chicago productions of Massenet’s touching Don Quichotte and Bizet’s passionate Carmen
- One Russian opera, a revival production of Tchaikovsky’s romantic Eugene Onegin
- One American musical, a new-to-Chicago production of Lerner & Loewe’s My Fair Lady in its Lyric premiere
- Chicago Voices Gala Concert, featuring Renée Fleming and special guest artists from several musical genres, February 4
- Celebrating Plácido showcases the artistry of the legendary Plácido Domingo, featuring favorite operatic and non-operatic repertoire and special guest artists, in an extraordinary concert performance, March 9 & 13.
- Charlie Parker’s Yardbird (Chicago premiere), a new work about the jazz and bebop legend, starring Lawrence Brownlee, March 24 & 26
- Itzhak Perlman in Recital featuring pianist Rohan de Silva with the world-renowned violinist in his only Midwest appearance this season, April 23
How (and why) to get tickets now
Visit lyricopera.org or call 312-827-5600 to arrange your Lyric experience. You can also visit the ticket office on the 8th floor of the Civic Opera Building, 20 N. Wacker Dr., during business hours, 9am-5pm M-F, for in-person service.
Purchase tickets now for the best seat selection and the widest choice of performance dates. Single tickets for all opera performances at Lyric’s Civic Opera House start at just $34/balcony and $70/main floor. Special children’s ticket prices are available for all operas with the purchase of adult tickets. Single tickets for My Fair Lady start at $22. Prices vary for the special events.