This month, the award-winning London production of the iconic rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar — with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice — arrives in Chicago for its North American premiere. With live performances April 27-May 20 on the stage of the Lyric Opera House, this new production of the hit Broadway musical tells the story of the final weeks of Jesus Christ and his followers using an exciting mix of styles ranging from 1970s rock to gospel to funk. This riveting, larger-than-life production is jam-packed with powerhouse voices, high-adrenaline dancing, and unforgettable music.
Keep reading to discover some of the incredible forces behind Jesus Christ Superstar at Lyric and secure your tickets today!
- The production will feature over 80 artists live on stage, including 37 musicians rocking out to 24 musical numbers such as “What’s The Buzz,” “Heaven On Their Minds,” “Everything’s Alright,” “I Don’t Know How to Love Him,” and other classic favorites.
- 5 members of the creative team, direct from the award-winning London production, will incorporate energetic choreography, thrilling set and lighting design, and stage and music direction that will bring performances to life.
- Performers will be decked out in over 150 costumes total, and be sure to keep an eye out for King Herod’s extravagant cape, which measures a whopping 25 feet long!
- Get ready to be impressed by a set that features a 37-foot cross, 7 full-sized trees, and 90 lbs of gold glitter at every show.
- There will be 74 exclusive, front-row seats over the covered orchestra pit available for purchase at each of the 25 performances, so you’ll be closer to the action than ever before.