Position: Pre-Opera Talks Presenter (Contractor)
Reports to: Manager of Audience Programs
Status: Part-time, non-exempt, as contracted
Lyric Opera of Chicago seeks new voices to present Pre-Opera Talks prior to opera performances.
As part of Lyric’s ongoing learning programs, these free 25-minute talks share historical, cultural, and musical insights into the opera presented that day or evening, as well as information about specific productions and directorial choices. These popular talks are attended by over 20,000 patrons each season.
To best share the impact of these works on a modern audience, Lyric is looking for speakers of varied ages, backgrounds, and perspectives to join a roster of highly regarded Pre-Opera Talks speakers. All qualified applicants will be considered. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write 25-minute Pre-Opera Talks script for assigned operas, including the selection of musical excerpt examples.
- Record Lyric Opera Commentary at the Lyric Opera House.
- Deliver Pre-Opera Talks prior to performances of the assigned opera, as contracted.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Public speaking ability and experience.
- Significant knowledge of operatic repertoire.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Flexible schedule to be able to deliver talks prior to evening and matinee performances on weekdays and weekends.
- Only local (Chicago area) applicants will be considered.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings or weekends.
How to Apply:
Please fill out the form below and submit a resume and a 5-minute video of you speaking on an opera of your choosing from a prepared script (waist up, as if you were at a podium, no selfie-style videos). Videos may be submitted by attaching to the application form, providing a link, or sending via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speak professionally, but not in overly academic style. Talks should be engaging, interesting to long-time attendees/aficionados and at the same time relevant and approachable for those newer to opera.
Application form: https://forms.gle/kMNGEgnju4Dd9oDL8