The Youth Opera Council is a program for high school students who are passionate about opera and want to learn more about the inner-workings of a professional opera company.
Council members experience unique learning and leadership opportunities working closely with Lyric Opera staff to develop programs that are of interest to members and plan events to share their love of opera with their peers.
Meetings take place Wednesday evenings, twice monthly, at Lyric Opera of Chicago.
- Gain an inside look at a professional opera company from Lyric staff, artists, and volunteers.
- Attend rehearsals, performances, and special events.
- Create unique ways to share your passion for opera with your peers.
- Provide insight and feedback about your experience at Lyric Opera.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in opera and the performing arts.
- Must be a high school student (grades 9 - 12).
- Attend meetings twice a month at Lyric Opera of Chicago (limited funding is available to assist with travel costs).
- Members are expected to make attendance at meetings and events from September to May a priority.
Applications for the 2014/15 Youth Opera Council are now closed.
Lyric Opera gratefully recognizes and deeply appreciates the generosity of the following Youth Opera Council supporters:
Terry J. Medhurst and Penelope and Robert Steiner
A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
The Youth Opera Council hosts an annual event for high school students from throughout the Chicago area. For the 2013/14 season students enjoyed this sold-out event with friends at the opening night performance of The Barber of Seville.
Interested in joining the fun? Check back in the fall of 2014 for the next A Night at the Opera!
The Youth Opera Council is generously
sponsored by Terry J. Medhurst and Penelope and Robert Steiner.
Millennium Park 9/6
Lyric’s Youth Opera Council invites you to an afternoon of fun and games prior to Lyric Opera’s annual Stars of Lyric Opera at Millennium Park concert! Pack a picnic and enjoy games with other high school students from the Chicagoland area on the Great Lawn at Millennium Park!
Following the festivities, Lyric Opera of Chicago will present its annual free
concert featuring highlights from the upcoming season, performed by
Lyric Opera Artists, Orchestra, and Chorus!
Stars of Lyric Opera at MillenniumPark
Jay Pritzker Pavillion
Saturday, September 6, 2014
|| Games on the Great Lawn (see map for location)
|| Pre-Performance concert by members of the U.S. Air Force Band of Mid-America
|| Stars of Lyric Opera at Millennium Park
The concert is free and open to the public.
Youth Opera Council is supported by Terry J. Medhurst and Penelope and Robert Steiner.