The passion, drama, and intrigue of ancient Rome awaits in Lyric's new-to-Chicago production of Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito
(on stage now through March 23). Get into the spirit with these beverages inspired by this magnificent opera.
The passion, drama, and intrigue of ancient Rome awaits in Lyric's new-to-Chicago production of Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito (on stage now through March 23). Get into the spirit with these beverages inspired by this magnificent opera.
A Dash of Betrayal
Vitellia and Sesto should have toasted their plan to assassinate the emperor with this blood-red delight. A sweet and spicy concoction, it perfectly captures their all-consuming passion and its tragic consequences.
- 1 1/2 ounces jalapeño-infused tequila
- 1/2 ounce blood orange liqueur
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce honey
- 1/2 ounce Monin blood orange syrup
Combine ingredients in a shaker over ice, shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass or over fresh ice in a rocks glass and garnish with a lemon twist. (Recipe from Drew Levinson, Wirtz Beverage Nevada)
Vitellia and Sesto were unsuccessful in their attempt to murder the emperor, but this take on the Bloody Mary reminds us of what might have been.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces Clamato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon horseradish
- 3 to 5 dashes hot sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Pickled green beans, for garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedge, for garnish (optional)
Combine all ingredients except ice and garnishes in a shaker, fill with ice, shake vigorously, and pour into an 8-ounce glass. If desired, garnish with pickled green beans and a lemon wedge. (Recipe from Chow.com)
In honor of the two trouser roles in La Clemenza di Tito, excellently portrayed by Joyce DiDonato and Cecelia Hall, here's a cocktail that indulges the masculine and feminine sides of the taste spectrum with a good-quality whiskey and a slightly sweet homemade sour mix and maraschino cherries.
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
- 2/3 cup sugar syrup (see note)
- Ice cubes
- Maraschino cherries
Combine the whiskey, lemon juice, lime juice, and syrup. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour in the drink mix 2/3 full. Shake for 15 seconds and pour into four glasses. Add a maraschino cherry and serve ice cold. Note: To make the sugar syrup, bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a boil, and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Chill before using. (Recipe from Ina Garten at Food Network)
All Romans love the distinctive taste of Campari, so you can channel some of the Italian spirit (and toast Emperor Titus's health) with this classic cocktail.
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 ounce gin
- Orange peel for garnish
Combine all of the ingredients in a short glass filled with ice and stir. Run the orange peel around the edge of the glass, lightly squeezing to express the oils. Drop the peel into the glass and enjoy. (Recipe from The Kitchn)
- Amanda Majeski and Joyce DiDonato in La Clemenza di Tito (photo by Todd Rosenberg / Lyric Opera of Chicago)
- Matthew Polenzani in La Clemenza di Tito; Chorus and sets from Clemenza (photo by Todd Rosenberg / Lyric Opera of Chicago)
- Joyce DiDonato...and Joyce DiDonato (photo copyright Nick Heavican)
- The Lyric Opera Chorus in La Clemenza di Tito (photo by Todd Rosenberg / Lyric Opera of Chicago