Epic praise for Lyric's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, starring James Morris.
Photo: Dan Rest/Lyric Opera of Chicago.
• The cast– "...first rate from top to bottom...deploying both vocal power and dramatic insight to shape their characters." – Wynne Delacoma, Chicago Sun-Times
• The conducting– "Lyric Opera of Chicago's new co-production of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg is five and a half hours short, due first and foremost to Lyric music director Andrew Davis, whose Wagner is luminous." – Nancy Malitz, Chicago on the Aisle
• The Lyric Opera Orchestra– "Even by their standard, [they] played gloriously with refined, majestic brass, personality-plus woodwinds and gleaming, burnished string playing throughout." – Lawrence A. Johnson, Chicago Classical Review
• The design– "With airy yet intricately wrought sets and costumes by Vicki Mortimer, Lyric's Meistersinger looks like a pastoral 19th-century painting." – Wynne Delacoma, Chicago Sun-Times
• The production– "...warm, accessible, and very charming..." – Lori Dana, Chicago Stage Review
In short, "...opportunities to experience Die Meistersinger, let alone one this good, don't come around very often." - John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune Click on any of the three remaining performance dates to reserve tickets: Feb. 23, Feb. 27, or March 3.