A Great Dame at Lyric
Downton Abbey has engaged New Zealand-born soprano Dame Kiri Te Kanawa as a singing guest star of its next season. The legendary diva performed at Lyric throughout the 1980s. Explore her archival photos!
Sir Andrew Davis conducts Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
Exciting news for those who like to follow their Saturday evening Donizetti with Sunday evening Downton Abbey:
The award-winning British period drama (that airs weekly on PBS in the United States) has engaged New Zealand-born soprano Dame Kiri Te Kanawa as a singing guest star of its next season. Dame Te Kanawa is no stranger to period costumes. You can admire her fancy frocks below, in photos from Lyric's production archives.
Dame Te Kanawa's full production history at Lyric:
• Strauss's Arabella (Arabella), 1984 Season
• Kiri Te Kanawa in Concert, 1985-86 Season
• Mozart's Così fan tutte (Fiordiligi), 1987-88 Season
• Verdi's Don Carlo (Elisabetta di Valois), 1989-90 Season
• Verdi's Simon Boccanegra (Amelia Grimaldi), 1995-1996 Season